Wednesday, February 09, 2005

I Drove a Taxi Cab - Part 2

Of course, since buying the cab, I had noticed an increase in aggression towards my car. I had never experienced anywhere near as much rudeness. In general, I’m far too intimidating. People would definitely go out of their way to cut me off or not let me merge. I definitely missed my old Chrysler. After 9/11, it got much worse. People starting becoming almost outright violent. One idiot in a pick-up truck (of course) made a slashing motion. It’s almost too damn bad he didn’t try anything. I would have enjoyed shooting him. Many others would stare in fear. Sometimes, they would notice that I’m basically a big redneck with a beard. The transformation was astonishing. Fear and loathing became instant acceptance. I wonder what (if anything) was going through their heads. I also noted that most, but certainly not all, were white.

In an effort at mitigation (and because I was way too cheap to paint a car I spent $600 on), I scraped-off the remaining taxi emblems. Although fewer people tried hailing me, it didn’t do much, so I slapped on “Black Flag” and an “Armed Society is a Polite Society” bumper stickers. This message was effective.

Meanwhile, my cabby friend reported being called a terrorist, and was often told that to go back where he came from. His response was to show them his Alaskan tribal identification car and told to “get the fuck out” of his cab. He did however punch out a fellow Pakistani cab driver who thought 9/11 was funny.[2] His business was basically ruined partly due to backlash against Muslims.[3].

Looking back, I can remember my contempt for the weakness of my fellow Americans. Since their hostility was directed toward anything remotely and tenuously Muslim, and I felt some of it directed toward me, I found it difficult to emphasize. They allowed the media and government to terrorize them into utter stupidity. Now, with time, I have mellowed. It’s difficult to have one’s world view shattered. I personally wonder why so many had it in the first place, or how they could still do so. Some of my middle eastern friends confided that it was natural for Americans to be a bit jumpy. However, it doesn’t excuse the racism. I’m glad honkies will be in the minority soon. The world will be a better place.

[2] A month earlier he threw someone, who had spit on him, through the front window of Bartell’s on Broadway thus severing a main artery. The police declined to press charges.

[3] I must also note that most cab drivers I met were African and Coptic Christians.

No comments: