Saturday, December 17, 2005

Math Deficiencies 1

1. A few years back, when I was teaching math at the community college level, I observed that many bright students were mathematically deficient. They were packed into my remedial class, which was the equivalent of high school algebra II, but rather than having difficulty, did quite well and easily passed in a five credit ten week academic quarter. Some claimed to have learning disabilities. They made it through as well. I have no formal training teaching math. I just disliked most math classes. So I tried to present the subject more concretely and let the students use open notes (but never textbooks) on tests and quizzes. I had always hated these things. I also went through every step on the board. My student evaluations were very good and some students even claimed to have developed an appreciation for the subject. Perhaps my methods were effective, but in actuality I would have to say that really the "average" student these days is perfectly capable of doing math. Most people think concretely; most mathematicians have a more abstract appreciation of their subjects. Also, memorization does not aide in problem solving. In short, mathematics needs to be taught concretely to the greater number of concrete thinkers. It needs a point. Mathematicians would disagree, but they are a minority. However, no matter the reasons, the fact is that these students were ill served by the public education system.

No comments: